Deposit Government Cheques

Do you need to set up a Direct Deposit with the Government of Canada?

Follow the steps below to get started:

You can request direct deposit using the 'My Account' service or by completing a Direct Deposit Request form available on the CRA website. Help in completing the form is available by calling the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

  • Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
  • Goods and Services Tax (GST)/Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) Credits
  • Government of Canada Annuities
  • Old Age Security (OAS)
  • Tax Refunds
  • Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB)
  • Veterans Allowance and Benefits

Print the completed Government Direct Deposit Enrollment Form and mail it along with a void Sudbury Credit Union issue cheque to the address provided.
If you do not have a personal cheque, then visit your closest Sudbury Credit Union branch and one of our Member Service Representatives will complete Part C for you.

What do I need in order to direct deposit my money?

To setup a direct deposit you will need a personal cheque issued to you by Sudbury Credit Union. If you do not have a Sudbury Credit Union issue cheque you must contact a branch to get the proper account information.

How will the Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB) be delivered?

If you already receive your income tax refund by direct deposit, you will receive your OTB payment(s) by direct deposit. Otherwise, the same form above can be used to sign up for direct deposit.

The Credit Union is not responsible for penalties or changes incurred by incorrect setup of automated deposits and withdrawals.